Forums for the Business Analyst

 
  Modern Analyst Forums  Business and Sy...  Structured Anal...  Transition Plan
Previous Previous
 
Next Next
New Post 8/27/2008 5:59 AM
User is offline srikanth
33 posts
9th Level Poster


Transition Plan 

Hello every one.

Hi after 4 months struggle atlast I got placed as a Business Analyst.  This is my 2nd week of my Job. 1st week I was looking at the Business process(As-is model)  and I   read documents based on the new project that they are going to launch.

Now at present I was given the task of preparing transition plan document . My programmm manager has explained me what exsactly he is looking for . But instead I want to know how a transition plan consistsof. Any articles or information related to it please can any one post to me.

\thank you,

regards,

Srikanth

 
New Post 8/27/2008 10:04 AM
User is offline Tony Markos
493 posts
5th Level Poster


Re: Transition Plan 

Hi:

Is your as-is model logical ? (i.e., does it capture the essential unchanging functionality?).   Do you have a logical to-be model in addition to your logical as-is model?   If so, your transition plan  is simply a matter of making note of the differences between the as-is and the to-be and then adding on any implementation specifics.

Tony 

 

 
New Post 8/27/2008 11:43 AM
User is offline Adrian M.
764 posts
3rd Level Poster




Re: Transition Plan 
Modified By Adrian M.  on 8/27/2008 1:44:01 PM)

First of all Congratulations on your new job!

On the transition plan, you need clarify if the transition plan is for just BA scope for includes the entire project (aka transition from one system to another).  If it is for the overall project then it looks like you might also be acting as project manager.

As Tony was saying, you need to understand the AS-IS state and the TO-BE state and then you need to consider what you need to do (the strategy) to get from point A to point B including:

  • The requirements,
  • The functional specs (if any),
  • The actual system development,
  • QA,
  • New hardware/network infrastructure,
  • User manual/training materials,
  • Transition of users from old to new system
  • etc.

- Adrian


Adrian Marchis
Business Analyst Community Blog - Post your thoughts!
 
New Post 8/28/2008 5:29 AM
User is offline srikanth
33 posts
9th Level Poster


Re: Transition Plan 

Hi,

Thankyou for reply.

First thing that right now Business process model(as-is ) is done and to-be is not yet done.

First week I have studies what the project is about, requirements, as there are things are still pending(means not yet  decided) on 3rd party vendor, and TO-BE is yet to be documented, and  the programm manager has given me the task of making transition plan by understanding the business by writting more on assumptions and constraints , use models if necessary.

He made some analysis on the project roll out plan by using expected numbers on certain areas. So I have understood  those documents Now I want to know how I can document transition plan based on present facts(as-is), expected figures, numbers, project plan , requirements.

As the requirements (detailed ) are not yet framed technically.

Thank you,

Regards,

Srikanth

 

 
New Post 8/29/2008 9:17 AM
User is offline Tony Markos
493 posts
5th Level Poster


Re: Transition Plan 

Hi:

If you need to understand the business more than what you current as-is tells you, you are not done with your as-is. 

Rule of thumb from what I was taught and have experienced:  Ninty-eight percent (98%) of the required work is coming up with an adequate as-is model.  The other 2% includes developing a scope document, creating a to-be model, identifying assumptions, etc.

Tony

 
Previous Previous
 
Next Next
  Modern Analyst Forums  Business and Sy...  Structured Anal...  Transition Plan

Community Blog - Latest Posts

Hosted by Deirdre Caren on Agora Insight's Blueprints for Success - The AI Business Analyst I recently had an engaging discussion with Maria Becerra, a passionate advocate for AI and an accomplished business analyst, on the AI Business Analyst. Maria is a respected name in strategy, business analysis and AI. Her path from Colombia to Canada ...
Hosted by Deirdre Caren in Agora Insights' Blueprints for Success I'm thrilled to have Susan Moore join us for episode 9 in our Blueprints for Success. In this session, Susan shares her rich tapestry of experiences that have shaped her career. Her journey into business analysis (ba) is a compelling narrative of exploration and disco...
I recently connected with Fabricio Laguna, aka The Brazilian BA. Fabricio is a passionate and pioneering business analyst from Brazil. During our conversation, we had a thought-provoking discussion on how artificial intelligence stands to shape the field of business analysis in the years ahead. While AI promises to transform many aspects of busines...

 






 

Copyright 2006-2024 by Modern Analyst Media LLC